Saturday, December 04, 2004

Well, another day.

I don't think that I mentioned that my wife, my daughter and I went to see Oklahoma at Memorial Autitorium over in Raleigh on Thursday night. It was pretty good. This isn't a review column so that's all I'll say.

It was a busy day. My daughter had two friends over for a sleep-over on Friday night. I had to get up and cook some bacon for them so that we could provide some semblance of hospitality.

Then at 10:30, my son and I had to be off to choir practice. We sing with the NC Boys Choir in the associated chamber choir. It's a variety of high school and college kids and a few older farts who have or have had kids that sing in the boys choir plus a few others. After practice, we immediately left for Pinehurst to sing in a concert. Pinehurst is a pretty neat little town. It's a golf/retirement community. What that means in this case is that it's an tony little town which requires that you have a lot of money to hang out. The concert went pretty well. We were getting a little weak at the end. We sing "Beautiful Savior" near the end and Bill, the director, sends the kids out along the sides of the church to sing this. It sounded real nice until the very last note, when you heard this horrible discordance in the pitch. Everyone said the sopranos, in this case a bunch of little boys, went sharp. It sounded strange. We finished with the Halelujah Chorus from the Messiah. It sounded a little rugged in places. Everyone's voices are worn out and we got a little separated in the middle. I'd rather not sing it. I like ending with the rather mellow Gaelic Blessing by John Rutter. Oh well.

Then we drove home.

No comments: