Thursday, December 16, 2004

Darn. Looks like I forgot to write yesterday. Yesterday was my birthday. Fifty-one. It's a wierd age. I never thought I'd be here, with two kids and a wife and out of work. The company I started when I got layed off isn't making enough money to support much of anything, let alone a wife and kids with college looming. So I need to find a job.

I started working on a presentation, in the event that I get an interview somewhere. I've decided that I need to sell myself as a medicinal chemist and not as some gadget head. The problem is that I'm a pretty good synthetic chemist and a reasonable medicinal chemist but I have a lot of interest and a fair amount of expertise in science that go beyond that. What's the problem? Well, I think that most people only give you credit for having a limited amount of sense and if you show a bunch in some other field, you must have had to give up some in the area they're interested in. So if I give an interview seminar, I better put in a bunch of chemistry, just to keep people entertained.

Actually, I think that what I really like is building things. Or maybe I like designing things that have 3 dimensional shape. Synthetic chemistry is really good that way. You have a really different kind of toolkit that you can use to construct all kinds of little itty-bitty things. And there are lots of neat toys that you can use to examine and manipulate them, the little itty-bitty things that you make. I find that to be a lot of fun. What I don't really like is the mindless making of things by following a recipe. No fun.

So much for now. Time for bed. So long.

No comments: