Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A New Friend

The only thing I can say is that if I die, I hope my wife grieves a little longer before replacing me.

Anyhow, the good news is that I replaced my old friend with a close copy.  In the last blog I lamented the death of an old friend, my Model 400 Advent radio.  I still haven't performed a full autopsy on the old boy but the silence in the garage was too much for me to wait.  So I did some research again.  I typed "best radio" into Google and the Tivoli Model Two showed up.  It was more than I wanted to spend so I went hunting and found the Tivoli Model One for $149.  And guess what?  It was designed by the same Henry Kloss that designed my old Advent Model 400.  So I ordered one from Crutchfield and when it came in, I put it in the garage.  It sounds great.  You might notice that it looks similar to the other radio.  It has that same 5:1 analog Vernier dial for the tuner.  And, of course it has only one speaker.  It's got a real wood cabinet too.  Kinda Retro, don't you think?


Here's another shot of it in the garage and a picture of Henry. He died about 10 years ago.  Do a Google Image search of "Henry Kloss" to see a lot of his inventions.


And finally, here's close-up of that Tiki god that watches over all the going-ons in the garage.


2 comments:

Robin said...

I have a tivoli in the office. If I am listening to a story on NPR in the kitchen and I want to go to the office, I turn on the tivoli in the office, so I have the NPR story going on two radios.

Thanks for the close-up of the thingy on the peg board.

Robin said...

I have a Tivoli. I love the sound. I don't remember why I bought it, but I think NPR told me to buy it. I love the little purple, orange and black thingy!