Saturday, May 01, 2010

Bird Update

Time for a bird update. Look down to see previous posts on this subject.

There was some discussion between me and the wife about whether my new varmint barrier was far enough out on the post to deter would-be predators from getting to our new bluebird house on the swing set. We hadn't seen the original bluebird family around for a while. After a few days of inactivity, my wife ventured out and opened up the birdhouse. Inside was an empty crushed egg. After a few minutes on the web, she determined that squirrels do indeed eat bird eggs and that a squirrel was the culprit. So she removed the nest and cleaned out the house. I came out and took the hammer to the barrier to loosen it. I then moved it further out on the post so that an animal would have to be a bit more adventurous to get to the house.

And after a few days, we were back in the bluebird family business. I sneaked out and caught a few pictures. It's hard to get close enough to get a good picture of daddy bluebird before he flies away, but I finally got one this morning. Here tis:


Notice that the critter barrier is further out on the post. As I tried to get closer, he flew away but I got another shot of him in the tree.


We'll keep you posted.

note: Since I posted this, my wife told me she has seen a squirrel on top of the birdhouse since I moved the barrier. Hmmm!

No comments: