Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Simple Test of Google's Picture Thing

I recently signed up for the Google Picassa picture thing that lets you put pictures on the web so that other people can see them. I'm sure Google is doing this so that they can plaster ads next to your pictures and rake in more revenue. I tend to like the stuff Google does because they tend to make it simple to use and they have the motto "Don't be evil". So I have, for better or worse, decided to trust them with a lot of stuff.

I'm now going to test the utility of their photo warehousing for putting things in a blog. I have a picture of some of my sand art. I'm no longer a sand castle builder, there are way too many people out there that do it better than me. I am now a sand artist. OK here goes...

Crap! It doesn't work. Now I'll have to post it the old-fashion way since you're all excited about seeing my sand art. OK here goes again...



Crap! It came in sideways. How did that happen? Let's try again. OK here goes again...

Crap! It came in sideways again. I won' bother to show it to you again. OK, one more try.


There, I finally got it right. It appears that if you rotate a photo and save it, what you really save is the photo in the original orientation and an instruction to rotate it. When you open it again, some document will read the instruction and some will ignore it. Apparently, all the programs I use read the instruction and Google Upload does not. So I had to actually display the picture with the correct orientation and do a screen capture to get what I wanted. I bet the image quality suffered but I'm not going to do anymore work here to find out.

So what started out as a simple blog to test something, turned into a lot more work. But, who cares? I'm on vacation. You got to see some really nice sand art and I killed an hour.

So that's it for today.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: