Wednesday, September 02, 2009

New Lawnmower Not too long ago I wrote about my lawnmower. I wrote about how, even though it was largely abused, mostly through neglect, that it kept on running for 19 or so years. Well, on Monday I cranked her up and started mowing the yard. After a couple of spins around the yard, it stopped running. It just died. I tried restarting the thing but I got nothing. It was like there was no spark at the plug. So I went ot the garage and found a pack of 4 spark plugs that I bought 100 years or so ago for something and never used them. I pulled one out and replaced the badly fouled one in the lawnmower with the shiny, never used old one. I pulled the cord and nothing happened. So I decided, after consulting with the wife, that it was time for a new lawnmower. Having bought a cheap lawnmower from Sears that lasted for 19 years, I decided that it wouldn't hurt to try that route again. I looked on the web and saw that they had one that was about the same for $149.99. So I went off to Sears and came back with a big box containing my new lawnmower. Today, Wednesday, I pulled it out of the box and set it up. All I needed to do was raise the handlebars, pour in the bottle of oil that came with it and fill it with gas. After a few pulls on the cord, it came to life and I was able to finish mowing the front dirt, I mean, yard. To prepare the old mower for the junk yard, I removed the gas and turned it upside down to drain the oil. Funny, after an hour standing upside down, no oil drained out of the mower. Here's a side by side of the old mower and the new one before I got it dirty. Ain't it cute?

No comments: